Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mass in Me

Today's readings peal back the curtain and reveal glimpses of three of God's "homes" -- His heavenly home (the City of God), His earthly home (the Temple in Jerusalem), and His most humble home (Us). I have to admit, the most challenging one for me is the latter. It's hard to get my head around the concept that our bodies are a temple...a holy place. And they are holy not because of what we do...because of how "good" we are...but because we are covered with God's fingerprints. We are His creation...and more than that...God chooses to dwell in us. That is why we are holy temples. We don't bring holiness to ourselves. In fact, it is closer to reality to say that our life is holy despite ourselves.

But the idea that there is literally something...SomeOne in me....besides myself...it's just strange to think about. We can't "feel" Him the way we can feel the outline of our ribs or the way we can feel the beat of our heart. But He is nonetheless there. And I believe we can hear Him...though it takes practice.

And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before Jehovah. And, behold, Jehovah passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before Jehovah; but Jehovah was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but Jehovah was not in the earthquake: and after the earthquake a fire; but Jehovah was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. 1 Kings 19: 11-12

I think this is one of the things God is teaching me now...how to better hear him. I feel like He is showing me how to distinguish His voice...His thoughts...from the cacophony of my own thoughts. And as best I can tell just now...it is that still small voice. It is persistent...and true...but it doesn't clammer for attention. Yet when I focus on it...I know it is different from my own thoughts. It is holy.

And when I think still further about all of this...about God speaking to me...in me...and I really dwell on the idea that God is here...with me...all the time...in me...I can't help but think that I should be different. I mean since He is here...since perfection is ever present to me...since holiness is forever surrounding me... shouldn't that change things radically in my life? If I carry the King of the Universe...the source of all that is Good, and True, and Pure...with me everywhere I go...whether in darkness or light....shouldn't my life be different? If I think about it, whatever I eat or drink...whatever I watch...whatever activity I engage in...I am engaging God in all of that with me. Maybe I need to think more about what I put into my body. Of course this reality...of God being in us...is more than a supernatural Nike tagline suppose to motivate us to stay healthy and fit.

This is about intimacy with our Creator. It's about recognizing that this life we have been given is Holy...and I should strive to live a life that lets that Holiness burst through. I shouldn't just be alive...I should live. And I should live with a passion that honors God's Creation. In a way, I feel like I should be celebrating Mass each day through my life. With all my thoughts, words, and deeds I should be praising God, proclaiming His Word to others, sacrificing my flesh...my self, imploring His Will be done, humbling myself in His presence, and going forth always looking to love and serve. We celebrate Mass each week in God's brick and mortar homes here on Earth...shouldn't I be celebrating it all the more every day in His temple...in me?

No comments: