Monday, September 14, 2009

It finally happened....

I snapped yesterday. I almost heard it. Literally heard something snap in that crisp green bean (or pole bean) sort of way.

I saw how Serene Williams wanted to "sincerely apologize" for her ugly, unprofessional display at the end of her US Open Semifinal match against Clijsters (that I know is pronounced CLIGH-STERS, but that I like pronouncing CLI-JI-STERS). You can read about it here: Serena "Sincerely" Apologizes

The thing is...this is about two days too late. She could have apologized after the match. In fact she could have not made it worse by not going back to threaten and berate the lineswoman a SECOND time. She could have apologized at the press conference, instead of claiming she didn't remember what she said.

But what made me snap was the audacity to even bother trying to publicly apologize at this point...and talk about being a role model. She made a choice...decided to be stubborn...and so she should own it. Any "sincere" apology needs to now include not just the actual incident, but also the arrogance and stubbornness she perpetuated for the next 48 hours.

She is the epitome of all that is wrong with us...with this culture. Not each of us individually (though in some way we are al like this...in little ways...on a daily basis)...but of the collective behavior we created...and have allowed to persist...and even elevated to where we admire those who behave that way. Primidona...diva...self-absorbed...whatever you want to call it. The point is it is selfishness. It's all about us.

And yet the greatest that have ever been among us (or in their own minds...the most insignificant among us)...the people we revere...not admire...not idolize...but respect and revere...they were about others....not about self. I mean come on...who is not awed by Mother Teresa? How can you not be...she denied herself continually...for the sake of "the least of these"...the least of us (in the worlds eyes).

We've all heard the saying that "whoever has the most stuff wins." Well...I guess today it's more about who ever does whatever they want the most often wins. But we couldn't have it more backwards. It's suppose to be about less of us...and more of others. [Which coincidently actually means they'll be less need to worry about us...because everyone else will be worried about us.]

Anyway, the snapping sound by the way was me...my pride...my wanton selfishness. I know I can't really eliminate the selfishness from my life in one fall swoop...but I can tell you...I'm going forward with renewed vigor. Sure I'll fail...sure I'll still initially want to rip into the guy (or gal) who cuts me off on the highway....or the person at the grocery store who is completely oblivious that there was anyone else in line...or my friend who I get in an argument with because I'm more worried about pride than I am about what is right or true. But when I do those things...I'll apologize...and I'll mean it. Sincerely.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful...I am learning in my Creative Thinking class about arguments and the validlity of them from a philosophical standpoint; and what I have learned when it comes arguing in general ALWAYS proves to be invalid when human emotion is involved. Makes sense since its our ego or how you put it selfishness that is truely the culprit to our anger to the situation at hand in the first place. Be it driving or otherwise. I like your new spiritually or humanistic ideal towards selfishness. My new trial and error is never arguing while any emotion is involved that is with myself or others. Doesn't mean the problem will go away, however the suffering to myself or others will most likely cease with the negation of emotion in the mix of a dispute. Very enlightening moment for you Cath Bro...